HISTORICAL PLACES OF MALAYSIA
Malaysia is a country of various spectacular places of historical significance. The historical places of Malaysia reveal the culture and tradition attached with the country.
A Famosa is a Portuguese fortress located in Malacca, Malaysia. It is among the oldest surviving European architectural remains in south east Asia.
It was build by the Portuguese in 1511. It is used to defend themselves. It suffered severe destruction during the Dutch invasion and what are left today are just the entrance walls.
St. Paul's Church is a historic church building in Malacca, Malaysia that was originally built in 1521. It is located at the summit of St. Paul's Hill and is today part of the Malacca Museum Complex comprising the A Famosa ruins, the Stadthuys and other historical buildings.
The chapel was deeded to the Society of Jesus in 1548 by the Bishop of Goa, João Afonso de Albuquerque, with the title deeds received by St. Francis Xavier. The chapel was then further enlarged in 1556 with the addition of a second floor, and a belfry tower was added in 1590. The chapel was then renamed the Igreja de Madre de Deus (Church of the Mother of God).
A burial vault was opened in 1592 and many people of distinction were buried there, including Pedro Martins, the second Bishop of Funay, Japan.
The Stadthuys, also known as the Red Square, is a historical structure situated in the heart of Malacca Town. It was built by the Dutch occupants in 1650 as the office of the Dutch Governor and Deputy Governor. Its heavy door, red painted wall and dutchich design are the uniqueness of the buildings.
Situated at Laksamana Road, beside the Christ Church, the supposed oldest remaining Dutch historical building in the Orient, is now home to the History and Ethnography Museum. Among the displays in the museum are traditional costumes and artifacts throughout the history of Malacca, which makes it Malacca's premier museum.
The Astana is a palace in Kuching, Sarawak, on the north bank of the Sarawak River, opposite the Kuching Waterfront. It was built in 1870 by the second White Rajah, Charles Brooke, as a wedding gift to his wife, Margaret Alice Lili de Windt. The couple married at Highworth, Wiltshire on 28 October 1869 and she was raised to the title of Ranee of Sarawak with the style of Her Highness upon their marriage.
The name is a variation of 'istana', meaning 'palace'. The palace is not normally open to the public, although the landscaped gardens are, which can be reach by a boat ride across the Sarawak River.
The Cheng Hoon Teng templeis a Chinese temple practicing the Three Doctrinal Systems of Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism located in Malacca Town. It is the oldest functioning Chinese temple in Malaysia.
Built in 1645 by Kapitan Lee Wei King with building materials imported from China, Cheng Hoon Teng served as the main place of worship for the local Hoklo (Hokkien) community. The main hall was built by Kapitan Chan Ki Lock in 1704 and was rebuilt in 1801 by Kapitan China Chua Su Cheong, who contributed to the aesthetic and magnificent structural additions of the building.
Kampung Kling Mosque is an old mosque in Malacca. It's a merge of Sumatran and Western architecture with a three tier pyramid roof which is a touch of Hindu influence perhaps and elegant Corinthian-styled columns support the carved wooden ceiling.
The original structure built by Indian Muslim traders in 1748 was a wooden building and in 1872, it was rebuilt in brick. The minaret, ablution pool and entrance arch were built at the same time with the main building. The kampung kling mosque is named based on the place where Indian traders dwell in that place called Kampung Kling.
Pasir Salak Historical Complex located in Ipoh, Perak. The complex pays tribute to warriors such as Dato' Sagor and Dato' Maharaja Lela, who led the locals against the forces of the British colonial administration.
The Maritime Museum is a museum in Malacca City. The museum main exhibits the replica of Flor de la Mar with 34 metres high, 36 metres long and 8 metres wide.
The work on the museum started in early 1990 and it was officially opened to the public by Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on 13 June 1994. The phase two of the museum is housed in the old Guthrie building and was opened by State Committee for Tourism, Culture and Environment Chairman Poh Ah Tiam.